Day 5! I’m here in
sunny err rainy California and – no surprise – finding tasty vegan food has been no trouble at all.
The fifth song on the album, Blow, is a very suggestive song – but hey – cherries are good for you! And, it’s pretty clear that Beyonce’s life is a bowl full of cherries.
There are many health benefits for cherries, but I’ll give you 4:
1. Cherries fight against cancer: Cherries get their sexy deep red color from flavonoids: powerful antioxidants that fight free radicals in the body and helps keep cancerous cells from growing out of control.
2. They help you sleep: Instead of popping a melatonin before bed, drink cherry juice instead. Two tablespoons of cherry juice is just as effective as a melatonin supplement.
3. They lower blood pressure: One cup of cherries has the same amount of potassium as a banana which helps to lower blood pressure by getting rid of the excess sodium in our body.
4. They keep you fit: Beyonce must be aware of cherries’ body benefits because eating them leads to healthy weight loss (like after having a baby) and they help you keep it off. Cherries are low in calories (~100 calories per serving) but high in filling fiber. Also, they are packed with metabolism boosting vitamin B.
February on the East coast definitely isn’t cherry season, so I used frozen cherries with a hint of lavender (inspired by the photo above) for a richly sweet and healthy dessert. Turn that cherry out…
Lavender Cherry Compote
- 1 tbsp. Earth Balance
- 1 tbsp. stevia
- 1/2 teaspoon dried culinary lavender, crushed
- 20 oz. frozen cherries (or fresh if in season)
- Fresh lemon juice
- A sprinkle of almond slices
Melt Earth Balance in a medium pan over medium-high heat. Add stevia, lavender, cherries, and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Simmer until cherries are warm. Serve immediately and garnish with almond slices.
Today’s Activity: Strap on some skates and visit a roller rink – if you can find one.